fbpx What Should You Do If You Are Injured On Someone Else's Property? | Bryan Charles Alred | Tulsa Lawyer


Blog of Charles Bryan Alred

What Should You Do If You Are Injured On Someone Else’s Property?

Posted on February 20, 2016

The risk of having a slip and fall at a residence is not that extreme; however, if it does happen, it would be nice to know the steps to take to be able and have the injury covered and any damages and medical costs covered. It also a good idea to know what is permissible if your injury happens on someone else’s property.

Conditions of the Property

If the private residence is not kept in a condition that would prevent injury, then you have a chance to utilize the homeowner’s insurance policy to cover your injuries. A law called premises liability law has the task of deciding whether or not the private residence had circumstances that made it unsafe. Pursuing injuries that occurred in a private residence are extremely difficult and complicated and require the care of a skilled attorney to make sure that you are receiving the compensation you deserve.

Premises Liability Law

If you slip and fall at someone’s home, they most likely invited you to the residence and welcomed your presence. This is taken into consideration within the law. But it also means that the homeowner should inform you about any potential hazards or situations you should be made aware. If you were not reasonably informed, then you do have the potential to receive coverage.

Trespassing and Attractive Nuisances

If you entered the home without permission and were trespassing, then there is no responsibility of the homeowner to keep you safe and they do not owe you any reasonable measures to keep you safe.

If your child trespassed onto another property because of something desirable like a playset, pool or a trampoline, otherwise known as “attractive nuisances”, then that property owner could be held liable for any injury that happened to your child.

Keep Records

If you did have a slip and fall in someone’s home, then it is important to keep records of what occurred.

  • Take pictures of the sight of the injury in the home
  • Write down everyone’s contact information
  • Write down the insurance information of the homeowner
  • Receive medical care and maintain records from every doctor or hospital

Contact A Legal Representative

If you fell while at someone’s residence, contact the firm of Charles Bryan Alred online or at (918)745-9960 to learn more about how you can get compensation from the homeowner’s insurance.