Blog of Charles Bryan Alred
How to Avoid a Dog Bite
Posted on November 10, 2015
If you’ve seen or read Stephen King’s Cujo you may have some misconceptions about animal behavior, or how to carry yourself around an angry animal. It is very seldom that you will encounter a rabid dog and if you do the last thing you want to do is run, shout, or panic. Avoiding dog bites is very simple and in this blog we’ll discuss a few pointers for avoiding bites, what to do if a dog becomes aggressive, and what to do if you’ve been bitten.
Give the Dog Personal Space
The most important thing you can do when you’re around an animal you don’t know is to be polite and treat its personal space with respect. You don’t want to get in the dog’s face or act in such a way that the dog will be startled or become aggressive. Furthermore, don’t disturb a dog while it’s sleeping, eating, chewing on a toy, or caring for puppies. Always be cautious around an animal you don’t know and assume that it may see you as a threat.
What to Do if you Think a Dog May Attack
If you are approached by a dog that you think may attack you, take these steps:
- Resist the urge to scream and run away.
- Remain motionless, hands at your sides, and avoid eye contact with the dog.
- Once the dog loses interest in you, slowly back away until he is out of sight.
- If the dog does attack, “feed” him your jacket, purse, bicycle or anything that you can put between yourself and the dog.
- If you fall or are knocked to the ground, curl into a ball with your hands over your ears and remain motionless. Try not to scream or roll around.
What to Do if You’re Bitten by a Dog
If you’re bitten by a dog, don’t panic.
- First, immediately wash the wound with soap and warm water.
- Second, contact your physician for additional care and advice.
- Third, report the bite to your local care and control agency.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney in Owasso
If you have been bitten by a dog, have any questions, or are in need of legal advice or representation please contact Charles Bryan Alred, P.C.